Hiring - Programmer
Seeking Gameplay Programmer
Cardboard Utopia is a indie game development studio in Montreal Qc, Canada. This studio was started from the belief that the best, most cherished games are the ones that engage you through gameplay, story, and characters. Games that are not just flashy experiences that leave your thoughts once you put down the controller, but make you think, plan, question and discuss. These are the things that create memories for future years. These are the types of games we make.
Our office is located at GamePlay Space in downtown Montreal, close to the Place-des-Arts metro station.
If you want to know more about us as individuals, feel free to read our employee profiles HERE.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we believe diversity is important to the future of the games industry. We will not discriminate with regards to your race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or health status.
Our most recent game is Children of Zodiarcs, an indie tactical Role-Playing Game that blends collectible cards and dice with classic tactical gameplay. It was released July 18, 2017, for PlayStation 4, Steam, and GOG. Here is the launch trailer:
Children of Zodiarcs is a story-driven, tactical RPG set in the fantasy realm of Lumus; a world divided by affluence and poverty. Take control of Nahmi and her fellow outcasts, utilising a brand new deck and dice based combat system to strike a blow to the noble Lords' and Ladies' unquenchable thirst for profit.
We are currently in the early pre-production stages of our new project. As a part of the team, we want your help in shaping this new game with us, because at the end of the day, we want all team members to feel ownership of our projects and be proud of what we have accomplished together!
Are you a generalist programmer, looking to take on the responsibilities of leading the technical aspects of a small, indie studio? If so, we're looking for you to join us at Cardboard Utopia! This is a full-time, paid position where you'll be working onsite at our office in downtown Montreal.
You will be setting the game’s architecture and developing gameplay features, as well as elements in other domains like AI, 3D, Animation and UI. You’ll also be helping to make decisions about the studio’s needs regarding technical aspects outside of game development.
We primarily work in C# using the Unity game engine.
- Your code is clean, simple, and efficient
- You're able to use a debugger and a profiler
- You have experience in using source control software (such as Mercurial and TortoiseHg)
- You produce solid code as well as quickly prototype new features
- You communicate well with teammates of other trades (artist, designer)
- You're happy to work within a team atmosphere
- You're able to develop gameplay elements but also AI, UI, custom editor tools
- You're willing to propose improvement in the existing features, tools or workflow
- MUST be able to legally work in Canada
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in the game industry as a programmer
- At least 1 shipped game that can be accessed through the most common digital distribution platforms (Steam, PlayStation Store, Google Play, Apple Store, etc.)
- Strong knowledge of Unity
Good to have
- Good knowledge of Unity 3D’s graphics and physics features
- Experience in multi-platform development
- Experience leading a team
- Bilingual (French and English)
- Bachelor degree in computer science or equivalent
If you think this fits you, then we want to meet you! Please send a CV with descriptions or links to your previous projects to:
We're looking forward to meet you!